Before you enable the update in production, we highly recommend testing the changes first in a test environment.
If you are not sure if you have a test environment, you get one as an online customer. If needed, go to the Power Platform Admin Center first to create your sandbox environment, then copy your production environment over to the new sandbox environment.
Once your copy of production to a sandbox environment is complete (this may take more than a few minutes) you can enable the preview for your test environment.
1. Go to the new Power Platform Admin Center.
2. Click Environments.
3. Click the name of the organization for which you want to enable the update. For the example, "C52020Wave1" as seen below.
4. To verify you are in the correct organization, check the breadcrumb just under the "Settings" gear: Environments > [your sandbox].
Here, we see "C52020Wave1" again.
5. Click Manage just right of the word "Updates."
6. Click Update now.
7. Microsoft wants to make sure we really know what we are doing, so click Confirm.
Note: The option is not highlighted so it does not look clickable, but it can be selected.
8. After clicking Confirm, you will see the word "Activating" and then a list of different pieces that are getting updated. This one was for Sales.
Some time later, you will see the different parts being validated as "Complete" with a green check mark. You are now ready to move about the updated org.
Now the version number will not be updated at this time, likely because it is an update to the apps not the database. The database version will probably not change until Microsoft pushes out the actual update.
To be clear, this should only be done on a test environment. Microsoft will be globally updating customers in April of this year. Last year, the North American region was updated near the end of April. However, every year is different. The update may be sooner or later, so begin testing now.
I hope this article has been helpful and that you are having a lovely day, wherever you are. If you need any help with your updates or upgrades, please feel free to contact us or give our office a call at: 704-895-2500.
The complementary paper includes over 12 years of research, recent survey results, and CRM turnaround success stories.
This 60-second assessment is designed to evaluate your organization's collaboration readiness.
Learn how you rank compared to organizations typically in years 1 to 5 of implementation - and which areas to focus on to improve.
This is a sandbox solution which can be activated per site collection to allow you to easily collect feedback from users into a custom Feedback list.
Whether you are upgrading to SharePoint Online, 2010, 2013 or the latest 2016, this checklist contains everything you need to know for a successful transition.